Phenytoin, known under the brand Dilantin to name a few, is an anti-seizure mdication. Phenytoin is prescribed to stop and regulate seizures (also called an anticonvulsant or antiepileptic medication). It functions by reducing the spread of seizure activity in the brain. You should take Dilantin precisely as recommended by your medical professional.Do not squash, chew, damage, or open up an extended-release pill. Ingest it entire.Never utilize any Dilantin capsule that has actually altered colors. The chewable pill needs to be eaten prior to you ingest it. If you are taking fluid kind Dilantin, tremble the oral suspension (fluid) well prior to you gauge a dose. Pour fluid medicine with the application syringe provided, or with a special dose-measuring spoon or medication mug. Ask for emergency medical help in case you experience any kind of indicators of an allergic reactions. You might be most likely to have an allergy if you are African-American. Tell about any new or aggravating symptoms to your medical professional, like: mood or habits modifications, stress and anxiety, depression, or if you really feel perturbed, uneasy, aggressive, hyper-active (mentally or physically), or have ideas concerning suicide or injuring your body. Inform your doctor urgently if you have a significant adverse effects stated above.
Purchasing Dilantin (Phenytoin) online with our pharmacy service is easy and painless. Nevertheless you need to take your health seriously. Even if you think that information mentioned above is enough to start taking this medicine for recovery, you should consult your medical specialist first.
Generic Dilantin are used for treating certain types of convulsions and seizures. They may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor. Although it has been used in many conditions, Phenytoin's only approved use is as an anti-seizure medication, especially to prevent tonic-clonic (grand mal) seizures and complex partial seizures (psychomotor seizures). Phenytoin acts on the brain and nervous system in the treatment of epilepsy. Phenytoin may also be used to prevent and treat seizures occurring during and after neurosurgery.
Generic Dilantin comes as a capsule to take by mouth. It usually is taken two or three times a day. Take Generic Dilantin exactly as directed. Do not take more or less of it or take it more often than prescribed by your doctor. Do not open, crush, or chew capsules; swallow them whole. Continue to take Phenytoin even if you feel well. Do not stop taking Phenytoin without talking to your doctor, especially if you have taken large doses for a long time. Abruptly stopping the drug can cause seizures.
Side effects include:
- Dizziness, drowsiness, difficulty focusing (vision), unsteady gate, tiredness, abnormal involuntary movements, nausea, vomiting, constipation, decreased coordination, involuntary eye movement, mental confusion, slurred speech, abdominal pain, loss of
- insomnia, difficulty swallowing, constipation, stomach pain, loss of taste and appetite, appetite, redness, irritation, bleeding, and swelling of the gums
- muscle twitching, nervousness, headache, and increased hair growth.
Call your doctor immediately if you experience any of the following symptoms: Difficulty coordinating movements, skin rash, easy bruising, tiny purple-colored skin spots, bloody nose, slurred speech, unusual bleeding, yellowing of the skin or eyes, dark urine, swollen glands, fever, sore throat.
If you have ever had an allergic reaction to or are sensitive to Phenytoin or similar epilepsy medications such as Peganone or Mesantoin, do not take Phenytoin. Make sure your doctor is aware of any drug reactions you have experienced.
Tell your doctor if you develop a skin rash. If the rash is scale-like, characterized by reddish or purplish spots, or consists of (fluid-filled) blisters, your doctor may stop Phenytoin and prescribe an alternative treatment. If the rash is more like measles, your doctor may have you stop taking Phenytoin until the rash is completely gone.
Because Phenytoin is processed by the liver, people with impaired liver function, older adults, and those who are seriously ill may show early signs of drug poisoning.
Avoid drinking alcoholic beverages while taking Phenytoin. Phenytoin is secreted into breast milk. Nursing is not recommended for persons taking Phenytoin.
It is especially important to check with your doctor before combining Phenytoin with the following:
- Alcohol, Amiodarone (Cordarone), Antacids containing calcium, Blood-thinning drugs such as Coumadin, Chloramphenicol (Chloromycetin), Chlordiazepoxide (Librium)
- Cimetidine (Tagamet), Diazepam (Valium), Dicumarol, Digitoxin (Crystodigin), Disulfiram (Antabuse), Doxycycline (Vibramycin), Estrogens such as Premarin,
- Ethosuximide (Zarontin), Felbamate (Felbatol), Fluoxetine (Prozac), Furosemide (Lasix), Isoniazid (Nydrazid), Major tranquilizers such as Mellaril and Thorazine,
- Methylphenidate (Ritalin) Molindone hydrochloride (Moban), Oral contraceptives, Paroxetine (Paxil), Phenobarbital, Quinidine (Quinidex), Reserpine (Diupres),
- Rifampin (Rifadin), Salicylates such as aspirin, Seizure medications such as Depakene, Depakote, Tegretol, and Zarontin, Steroid drugs such as prednisone (Deltasone), Sucralfate (Carafate), Sulfa drugs such as Gantrisin, Theophylline (Theo-Dur, others), Ticlopidine (Ticlid), Tolbutamide (Orinase),
- Trazodone (Desyrel), Ulcer medications such as Tagamet and Zantac. Phenytoin's metabolism may be affected by other drugs.
- Drugs that can reduce the amount of Phenytoin in the body include Rifampin and Phenobarbital. Drugs that increase Phenytoin concentrations include Amiodarone,
- Chloramphenicol, Cimetidine, Disulfiram, Fluconazole, Fluoxetine, Isoniazid (INH), Omeprazole, and Paroxetine.
The oral absorption of Phenytoin can be reduced by any of the following: antacids containing magnesium, calcium carbonate, or aluminum; calcium salts; or enteral feeding products (tube feedings). Separating the administration of Phenytoin and enteral feeding products, antacids, or calcium salts by at least 2 hours will help avoid this interaction.